When I was four years old, I wrote a story about a giant rabbit that haunted my dreams.
The rabbit went away, but I kept writing.
Stories I enjoy reading and writing are the ones that skulk around the edges of themes and genres — stories with puzzles and patterns and hints rather than answers.
My formal education includes a bachelor’s degree in the structure and culture of the English language as well as a master’s degree in library and information science. Informally, I taught myself how to whistle like a train.
I live in Edinburgh with my husband, two cats, a few gadgets, several fountain pens, and many books.
Here are some things I have written that can be read online.
- “The Kettle and I” in Bewildering Stories #471 (19 March 2012) and received their 2012 First Quarterly Review Order of Merit
- “Sternum and Coccyx” in Impetus! (September 2008)
Unlike 99% of humanity, I love public speaking, and particularly love reading stories aloud to an audience. In 2012 I joined the illustrious ranks of Writers’ Bloc, and I look forward to a bright future performing with them.
|Red Lecture Theatre, Summerhall||13 April 2014 at 20:00 – 22:00||Science Festival - Culture Collider||The Writers' Bloc laboratory of writers, musicians and artists brings an evening's tales of science and surprises to detonate the cultura l divide. Knitting music with maths, dropping purls from String Theory, and rolling loaded dice across blueprints, these infamous Edinburgh perfor mance writers will grab you by your molecules for mind-blowing literary fus ions.…|
- Writers’ Bloc presents The Year of Unnatural Scotland (30 October 2013)
- Edinburgh International Book Festival presents Jura Unbound: John Lemke and Poppy Ackroyd with Writers’ Bloc (14 August 2013)
- Illicit Ink presents This Side of Paradise (7 July 2013)
- Illicit Ink, Inky Fingers, and Writers’ Bloc present Size IS Everything: National Flash Fiction Day 2013 (22 June 2013)
- Inky Fingers’ Virtual Open Mic (23 April 2013)
- Writers’ Bloc presents Séance Fiction (31 October 2012)
- Underword presents National Flash Fiction Day 2012 (16 May 2012) · reviewed by Paul F. Cockburn
People more audio-savvy than I am have recorded some of my poetry. When I figure out how to do this myself, I will post some stories as well.
Here are the writing workshops I have taken that I recommend.
- “Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction Short Stories” with Cat Rambo (2012)
- “Writing the Surreal” with Dominica Kriz via The Writing Salon (2008)
- “Writing the Personal Essay” with Jon Carroll at Book Passage (2004)
- “Introduction to Creative Writing” with Linda Watanabe McFerrin via The Writing Salon (2003)
Photo credit: FunkyPlaid.