I should go to bed but there is a cold, spiky ball of upset in my stomach. In an effort to cheer myself up, I will list my Thursday accomplishments.
- I woke up on time. (Not a big deal for most people, but a big one for me.)
- After fetching a mocha from Café Tartíne, I got four loads of laundry done, took out the recycling, and worked on the first draft of my statement of purpose all while getting ready for work.
- I made it to the ferry with time to spare.
- I brought lunch to work, made possible because it was payday.
- I worked on a bunch of things that are due Monday so I don’t have to worry about them over the weekend.
- I was asked by the head of I.T. to check out the new image for all the workstations in one of our labs, and consequently asked if I would check out all new images in the future. (Big ego boost!)
- I connected with two strangers. The first was a patron looking for a book I am intimately acquainted with, called How to Do Your Own Divorce in California. She has been frozen in fear about taking care of the paperwork, so we spoke for a few minutes about the book and the process. I told her to call me back anytime if she needed encouragement. The second was a visually-impaired incoming frosh whose ebullience about her first semester at Dominican totally bowled me over. She also showed me her rad Braille computer and explained how it worked. I can’t wait to see her around the library in August.
- I taught the reference librarians how to collect in-house usage statistics on our reference materials.
- During my dinner break, I compiled, bound and delivered another part of my graduate school application: my creative writing portfolio.
- I also signed and turned in my tuition waiver paperwork.
- I clarified that my second letter of recommendation won’t be coming in until the first week of August, and got approval on that.
- I remembered to eat dinner, too.
- I gave my tutee a writing assignment in order to prepare her for the TOEFL.
- At the desk, my friend Patrick who is also a student assistant at the library solicited my opinion about extraterrestrials and I gave it without second-guessing myself or feeling squidgy about it.
- After driving back into the City, I found a really good parking space. And it only took about thirty minutes.
- I was a good listener to Inkbot before she went to bed.
Despite all of these things, I screwed up one major thing today the thing that is upsetting me but I am going to try to let go of it so I can get a little sleep. Good night.